Tuesday 23 September 2014

KOREA: SEOUL YOLO (PART ONE)

Annyeong! I finally managed to fork out some time to update about my most recent Korea trip. This is not my first time there but it is the very first time I am travelling alone. Yes, I have always been wanting to do so but lacked of courage to go for it. I am glad this time round I did. I didn't regret having this solo trip. In fact, I wanted to do it again so badly. I am addicted to travelling alone. I didn't know it could be so rewarding. Alone doesn't always means lonely. You find happiness in visiting new places, and most importantly you can just be yourself. Many of my friends and people around me are pretty shock whenever I told them that I actually went alone. Well, I did met up with different friends throughout the trip but more than half of the time, I am all by myself. You only live once so why not just do what you want? You don't always need someone to be happy. Go live your life to the fullest.

Anyway, I am kind of surprised that quite a few people have been emailing me for itinerary and guide apart from my friends. I will try my best to provide more information and hopefully they will help! Honestly, I didn't really plan my itinerary much, I just did research on places to go. I decide where to go the next day before I head to bed (really yolo). I go wherever I want. No restriction.  I really really love Seoul because I am someone who are into Kpop, Korean food and Korean culture. I have friends who didn't enjoyed the trip so I guess it really depends on individual and also who you are travelling with.

I took Korean Airline which means a 6 hours direct flight. Upon arriving, I got myself the EGsim card which cost slightly more than $50 with 1gb of data usage and certain amount of outgoing call. For people who are travelling in group, you can rent the Olleh wireless egg which will cost you 8000won(apx. $10) per day. However, you will need to pay a deposit of 200.000won(apx. $250) by cash or credit card. I didn't go for the wireless egg because of the deposit. Another way to get wifi, is to purchase the pin card from convenient stores. Although there are wifi everywhere in Korea, you will still need a password for most of them so the pin card is basically the password and if I am not wrong it can last you about 4days?

 
I took the Airport bus 6002 to Sinchon where my guesthouse is. Airport bus will cost you 10000won(apx. $12.50) You can also take the airport railroad train to the city. I stayed at a chain guesthouse named 24guesthouse. Grabbed this fish waffle with frozen yogurt while waiting for check in. Ah I miss this :(

Wearing my Skechers D'lites. It is really popular in Korea. I have seen many Koreans wearing it and even my Korean friends told me that it is really a big hit there.
 
I think I look so short and fat here. Oh well

Headed over to Myeongdong for dinner and had some korean BBQ! I actually went to Myeongdong for quite a few times. Basically, Myeongdong has everything. All the make up brands, forever21 H&M, New Balances, Dr Martens, Stylenanda and all the street snacks! Korean street snacks are the best! Change your currency in Korea. The rate is really A LOT better. The online rate is 812 when I first checked. The minimum rate I got is 800 over there and the best one I got is 812 while in singapore I only got 790 from a money changer which usually has a long queue for its good/reasonable rate. Airport rate is around 775. Look at the different...ouch
 
I met up with Keith who happens to be in Seoul too! It was actually his birthday that day. Sorry I didn't prepare any gift for you but it is really nice seeing you there!
 
 
--
 
Day 2 @ Gyeongbokgung, Samcheongdong, Bukchon Hanok Village & Insadong


Met up with Effie, my korean chingu(friend) on my second day of trip. Thanks to her, I managed to visit a few places that I wanted to go. First, we headed over to Gyeongbokgung, one of their main attractions. Take Exit 5. The palace is really HUGE but nothing fascinating. It is basically for sightseeing and photos. Entrance fee is 3000won.





 
After that, we went to Samcheongdong which is nearby Gyeongbokgung for lunch. It is an area filled with restaurants, cafes, coffee houses and some small boutiques. A really nice place for people or couple to hangout.
 

Effie brought me to a local restaurant that sell dobbokki(korean rice cakes) which is one of my favourite korean food.

I am already missing this. *crying*
 
 
After meal, we headed to the next destination which is none other than the Bukchon Hanok Village. You can take subway to Anguk station and exit from exit 2. We walked over as it is within walkable distance. Bukchon Hanok Village is actually a residence area with all the traditional korean houses.
 



 
--
 
Next stop: Insadong
Anguk Station Exit 6


We actually wanted to grab some coffee but somehow ended at this cafe. It is called Miss Lee cafe. I was told that it is the cafe that Yong Hwa and Seo Hyun went on We Got Married. I didn't watch that though. The lunchbox here looks good but I was too full.

Ordered the Bing Su(Crashed ice with ice cream and toppings) IT IS SO GOOD!!! I love desserts especially anything with ice cream! I am trying to recall the taste while typing this. T_T

There is this neoprint shop located at the top floor of Insadong Mall which allows you to wear the Hanbok(Tradional Costume) for the photos! Yes for both genders!! The price is quite reasonable, I only paid 5000won for my copy of neoprint. Isn't it  cool to have a neoprint taken in Korea with yourself wearing their Hanbok! Okay, perhaps only for girls since neoprint is a girly thing.

First time wearing a Hanbok. ^^

 

In Korea, fried chicken and beer is very popular. You can't order one without another. I am not a beer person but since I was in Korea, I decided to give it a try. Korean fried chicken is the best! I love them to death!!
 
--
N Seoul Tower & Namsan Park
Go to Chungmuro Station Exit 2, Walk straight and take Namsan Shuttle Bus No.02

 
It was actually the Chuseok holiday period during my trip whereby Koreans go back to their homeland for visiting. In other words, it is the their Thanksgiving day. I stayed at Seoul for the whole trip because the traffic is going to be crazy if I choose to leave Seoul during that period. Chuseok holiday lasted 3days. On the first day, 90% of the shops are closed including all the shopping malls. I made a wrong choice to go Namsan on the second day of the holiday as the bus queue is horrible. I don't think it was that long on the normal days. After one freaking hour, I managed to board the super crowded bus. There will be a super steep walk uphill after you alight from the bus. It is like 45degree to me. Walking up is really tiring and walking down is so...scary. If you are not careful enough, you may end up "rolling in the deep" LOL.
 
 
Finally get to see this! I have only seen them in photos and tv! Couples can write their names on the lock and throw the key away. You can also write the name of your crush I guess. Well, I have no one to write even though I wanted to own a lock too.

OOTD with my babydoll blazer c/o Ninthstore! I asked stranger to take this for me cause I was alone.




Churros with ice cream!!! Yummy ~~

N Seoul Tower

I bought the ticket to the Observatory which cost 9000won. As it was indoor so I think the view is...meh. I still love Victoria Peak @ Hongkong most because it was outdoor and the view is breathtaking. I could have saved the money as I think it is not worth going up.

You can write you wish/blessing and hang it here. I wrote mine.

This is taken outside the tower. I personally felt that the view outside was so much better than the one inside the observatory.


Snacks corner. I am excited because EXO showtime was filmed here before!


 I left Namsan at about 7pm and decided to head over to Gangnam

Gangnam is where all the happening clubs and pubs are located at. Korean version of Clark Quay. There is an underground shopping mall with all the 10000won clothes just beside the subway.

Grabbed myself a late dinner at some random store with views of alley.


 I shall end my post here for the time being. I have a lot more to update. Unfortunately, my phone died the moment I came back so all the photos that were taken by my phone are now all gone. :( Luckily, I took most photos using my camera if not I will be crying now. Still, what a pity as I really wanna keep all the photos.  I will be updating about Hyehwa Ihwa Mural Village, Shopping at Hongdae(where Hello Kitty cafe & Stylenanda are) and Ehwa Woman's University(Thrift shopping) on the next post. Do check back! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment